Start Procedure-Click Arrow >
GRIDlinks are shipped from the factory set for DHCP and should automatically run on any network provided there is a DHCP server. In some cases where another Ethernet device wishes to communicate with the GRIDlink, there has to be a known IP address and it must remain consistent. Routers and DHCP servers give a device on the network an IP address for a set amount of time known as a lease. Some routers or DHCP servers change the IP address when the lease is up. This will cause the other Ethernet device to lose its connection.
In some networks the IT Manager will require a device to be given a static IP address that he or she assigns to secure the network and prevent unauthorized devices from running on the network. It is a common misconception to believe the IP address has to be made “static” in the GRIDlink order to achieve this.
The Preferred Method is IP to MAC address resolution
Routers and DHCP servers can be configured by the IT Manager with IP Mapping to the MAC address prior to the GRIDlink being connected to the LAN. Once connected, the GRIDlink’s MAC address is resolved and a permanent IP address is assigned.
The MAC address for the GRIDlink is found on the serial lable and packing slip shipped with the device. If you cannot find the MAC address, contact us with the serial number and we will provide it for you. This is the recommended method and would require no configuration change in the GRIDlink ADR.
NOTE: In WiFi and other Wireless networks, static IP Addresses are recommended.
There are 3 requirements for implementing a static IP Address:
- The Static IP
- The Network Gateway IP Address
- DNS server IP Addresses. The GRIDlink automatically defaults to 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52. Contact tech support if your network has special DNS settings
To change DHCP to a static IP address you must have the following:
- Toolkit installed on your computer. See Installing Toolkit
- If the GRIDlink is working on your network as a DHCP client and has an IP Address then you can connect via Ethernet. See Ethernet Connection
- The alternative and preferred method is to connect using a serial cable. See Serial Connection
- The current Toolkit project for this GRIDlink. If you do not have the current project, contact tech support and request it.